Reimbursement and Health Economics
Facilitating Cost Savings and Patient Access
Clinically proven benefits of RECELL® for the treatment of acute thermal burns translate into significant cost savings for hospitals as a result of fewer procedures for definitive closure,1,2,3 reduced donor skin requirements,1 and shorter patient length of hospital stay for small deep-partial thickness and full-thickness burns.2,4,5 These institutional costs savings from the use of RECELL have been validated and peer reviewed. RECELL offers an economically beneficial solution for doctors and their patients. AVITA Medical’s comprehensive RECELL Access Program provides reimbursement-related support.
RECELL Outpatient Code
Did you know that RECELL can be reimbursed for outpatient procedures?
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services have created a new technology Transitional Pass-through (TPT) Payment C-code for reporting the RECELL System when used in procedures performed in the hospital outpatient department and ambulatory surgery center (ASC) settings on or after January 1, 2022.6
What does this mean for you and your patients?
This new Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) device C-code adds flexibility for healthcare professionals to treat patients with RECELL in an outpatient facility when clinically appropriate. While the C-code is issued by Medicare, other payers may also recognize and provide reimbursement for the new code.
Please see below for important details:
- RECELL Autologous Cell Harvesting Device. Instructions for Use for AVRL0101.
- Kowal S et al. Adv Ther. 2019;36(7):1715-1729.
- Foster K, Bilir P, Kruger E, et al. Cost-effectiveness of RECELL® Autologous Cell Harvesting Device (ACHD) versus STSG for treatment of severe burns in the United States. Presented at the American Burn Association 2018 Annual Meeting, April 2018.4. RECELL Autologous Cell Harvesting Device. Instructions for Use for AVRL0101.
- Park JH et al. Burns. 2013;39(7):1386-1390.
- Carter JE et al. J Burn Care Res. 2020;41(S1):S37-S38.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System for CY 2022 (Final Rule).